Search
× Search

YAF

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Secondo  
#26 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 10:28:29 AM(UTC)
Shelby American

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Administrators, Registered, Registered Users
Posts: 446,150

Hi Dan, good to see you here.

Your GT500 has Ford GT-style dual fuel pumps. If you are running a boost-a-pump, check wiring to them (under the rear seat) and fuses. I`ve seen melted wiring at the pumps when running a boost-a-pump. One of the pumps may not be functioning. 

twobjshelbys  
#27 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 12:12:51 PM(UTC)
twobjshelbys

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Free Member, Moderator, Registered Users, Subscribers, TeamShelbyTester
Posts: 9,054

1 hour ago, Secondo said:

Hi Dan, good to see you here.

Your GT500 has Ford GT-style dual fuel pumps. If you are running a boost-a-pump, check wiring to them (under the rear seat) and fuses. I`ve seen melted wiring at the pumps when running a boost-a-pump. One of the pumps may not be functioning. 

Correct.  But at least on the GT the monitoring system is very good at detecting a bad pump and throwing a check engine condition.  If you have the boost-a-pump system I would look there first. 

mhr1961  
#28 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 2:50:29 PM(UTC)
mhr1961

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered Users, Subscribers
Posts: 1,808

6 hours ago, Robert M said:

I also contacted Marshall, to see if they had a "Dry" 1.5  0-100psi gauge that was Black case, Black face with White needle and numbering, they do not.

 

R

Robert,

You do realize that the Fuel Lab gauge is also made by Marshall? Look at the bottom of the guage, its says Marshall. many large gauge companies private label for smaller companies.

Here is perhaps a better choice. Summit Racing Part#153009. This one appears to be a dry fill fuel pressure gauge, chrome bezel and housing, 1/8 npt center back mount. Black face/white letters and a red indicator.

here is the linky:   https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vdo-153009

I would also call them and ask for the temperature rating, and ask whether the gauge had a clear plastic face, or glass face. For the price point it is at I would think it is probably glass. If plastic I would pass on it because if you get fuel or oil on it then it will likely cloud up. It also has a restrictor (orifice built in to the gauge to dampen pulsation).

VDO Gauges 153009 - VDO Mini Pressure Gauges

MY500SS  
#29 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2020 8:05:20 AM(UTC)
MY500SS

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered Users, Subscribers
Posts: 22,148

21 hours ago, Secondo said:

Hi Dan, good to see you here.

Your GT500 has Ford GT-style dual fuel pumps. If you are running a boost-a-pump, check wiring to them (under the rear seat) and fuses. I`ve seen melted wiring at the pumps when running a boost-a-pump. One of the pumps may not be functioning. 

Thanks man, I`ll look at that.

MY500SS  
#30 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2020 8:06:39 AM(UTC)
MY500SS

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered Users, Subscribers
Posts: 22,148

19 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

Correct.  But at least on the GT the monitoring system is very good at detecting a bad pump and throwing a check engine condition.  If you have the boost-a-pump system I would look there first. 

Hopefully Kenne Bell opens back up soon so I can get ideas from them as well.

Robert M  
#31 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2020 9:41:20 AM(UTC)
Robert M

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered Users, Subscribers
Posts: 2,281

19 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

Robert,

You do realize that the Fuel Lab gauge is also made by Marshall? Look at the bottom of the guage, its says Marshall. many large gauge companies private label for smaller companies.

Here is perhaps a better choice. Summit Racing Part#153009. This one appears to be a dry fill fuel pressure gauge, chrome bezel and housing, 1/8 npt center back mount. Black face/white letters and a red indicator.

here is the linky:   https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vdo-153009

I would also call them and ask for the temperature rating, and ask whether the gauge had a clear plastic face, or glass face. For the price point it is at I would think it is probably glass. If plastic I would pass on it because if you get fuel or oil on it then it will likely cloud up. It also has a restrictor (orifice built in to the gauge to dampen pulsation).

VDO Gauges 153009 - VDO Mini Pressure Gauges

I also talked to Marshall (actually emailed back and forth), they said their dry gauge would be fine for under hood heat, he said many are mounted that way and also mentioned, as you pointed out , the liquid filled is not good under the hood. but they (Marshall) did not offer a dry gauge with a Black case, that was the issue.

I also should mention, in the Marshall email, he did not say "all" of their dry gauges work in under hood heat and he did not say which ones do or don`t, I wanted a Black case for the "stealth" look and they did not have a dry gauge in a Black case, so that ended the conversation.

Also, the Fuelab gauges? Does Fuelab have a specific spec. for their Marshall made gauges that may be different for the common offerings from Marshall? IDK? They may be the same, but with a different name on the face.....or they may be built to specific Fuelab specs.? Right from the beginning it is interesting that Fuelab offers a 1.5 Dry gauge in a Black case, and Marshall does not........if all are made by Marshall......Also, the Marshall gauge is 0-100, the Fuelab 0-120........

It looks like it is out for delivery today, I will see how it looks......

R

Robert M  
#32 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2020 9:47:33 AM(UTC)
Robert M

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered Users, Subscribers
Posts: 2,281

1 hour ago, MY500SS said:

Hopefully Kenne Bell opens back up soon so I can get ideas from them as well.

I just sent you a PM with Rick@KB`s email address.

MY500SS  
#33 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2020 12:07:04 PM(UTC)
MY500SS

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered Users, Subscribers
Posts: 22,148

2 hours ago, Robert M said:

I just sent you a PM with Rick@KB`s email address.

Thanks Robert.  I`ll send him an email.

Robert M  
#34 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2020 1:28:48 PM(UTC)
Robert M

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered Users, Subscribers
Posts: 2,281

Ok, so the Fuelab gauge is in. I noticed that the Marshall information is no longer at the bottom of the Fuelab gauge. I called Fuelab a few minutes ago just to ask a couple of other questions. First, they have gone to a different vendor, he did not relay the vendors name to me. The Glass vs. Polycarbonite lens........He said yes, a glass lens is better but for the under $40 cost of these gauges, you will most likely not find a glass lens, infact he said that many larger gauges come with glass lenses, but he can`t think of any vendors that offer a glass lens in these small 1.5" gauges. We discussed the poly lens longevity, he says that Fuelab sells 350-400 of these gauges per month and he usually has 5-8 warranty returns per year, he said the two main issues, is oil or other under hood chemical getting on that lens, but the main warranty issue is the two screws on the back loosening up, it happens rarely he said, but it does happen and that is usually why one would be returned under warranty.

001.jpg

One other thing the tech at Fuelab mentioned.......do a couple of rounds of Teflon tape on the threads before installing the gauge.

R

Users browsing this topic
OceanSpiders 2.0
2 Pages<12
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Back To Top